Saturday, March 30, 2013

How an Alcohol Awareness Class Helped Me

When I was younger, I started to drink quite a bit. My drinking really picked up in college, and I blacked out regularly. I thought it was cool, to not be able to remember an entire evening. Then I started to get in trouble because of my drinking. I was arrested for driving under the influence (DUI), which I didn't think was so cool, and wound up losing a job I really liked because of my drinking. My girlfriend dumped me and told me I was a loser.

My drinking began spiraling out of control and I got my third DUI. Not only did I lose my license for a year, but I had to take an alcohol awareness class.

At the time I was in survival mode, just trying to get through the day so to speak but honestly, I really learned a lot. I reminded me of my Dad who was an alcoholic and whose life was empty. I decided I didn't want to be a drunk and that I would stop drinking entirely.

It has taken a lot of endurance and strength to change by behaviors, but I have been clean for almost a year now, and I am much happier and life feels better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment