Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How Alcohol Awareness Classes Taught Me How Not to Destroy Myself

I used to drink now and again when I was younger, but I didn't care for the taste that much. It gradually got to the point where I didn't even go to the bars with my friends. Several months ago, a good friend of mine died and I started drinking again just to make the pain disappear.

I ended up doing some stupid things that got me in trouble with the law. I am so thankful that a judge looked at the cause rather than the effects of my actions. He ordered that I undergo alcohol awareness classes. I was so grateful for this, and I ended up learning a lot about myself in the process.

The online alcohol class helped me understand that it is better to deal with grief than try and bury it in alcohol and destructive behavior. Not only does that not work, but it is not honoring my friend either. I still miss him deeply, but I know he would be proud that I'm longer destroying myself because of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment