Monday, February 11, 2013

These Alcohol Awareness Classes Are Teaching Me a Lot

I have been sober for six months since my angry outburst. I was charged with simple assault against people who love me and were trying to intervene in my alcoholism. Now I have to finish alcohol awareness classes as ordered by the sentencing judge to complete this program. If I manage to stay out of trouble for another 18 months after the classes, I will have completed the two years of probation and my record will be expunged.

I made the mistake of falling into the alcohol trap that so many of my relatives before me have fallen into. It is in our genes to be drawn to alcoholism. Every male and many female members in my family tell me that they have to actively choose every day not to drink. The temptation is powerful. It is not an easy road but I do not want to die like my father, uncles, two aunts and grandfather did. All of them died as a result of alcohol induced diseases or accidents.

To my surprise, the alcohol awareness classes are teaching me much more than I expected. I am taking a class online which allows me to go at my own pace. Because it is online, no one is judging me and I don't feel ashamed. It feels good to learn about alcoholism and what I can do to change my life. I especially like the mindfulness work because it has helped me face myself without criticism but greater awareness. Now I am more conscious of my decisions and my behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment