Saturday, September 22, 2012

Binge Drinking on College Campuses


As a college graduate I can personally attest to the binge drinking that goes on at college campuses across the country. This does not mean that all college kids binge drink, however, there most certainly is a problem with binge drinking on college campuses.

Many think that binge drinking is a rite of passage, especially if you are part of the Greek system. They think these are just a few years of your life and the binge drinking will not hurt.

How wrong they are!

Do students who engage in binge drinking enjoy themselves? From my own personal experience, combined with those of friends, colleagues and students in my alcohol education courses, I would say that the answer is a resounding yes. I never even considered being sober during my four years of college.

I binge drank two or three times per week while at the university. There were certainly plenty of my peers who consumed far me than I. There were a few that already had reached an advanced state of alcoholism. Yes – they were not even 22 years old! They already had problems functioning, fulfilling their educational responsibilities.

One friend failed out after one semester with a 0.7 grade point average. That never would have happened had he been sober!

Alcoholism is a serious issue. If you think you may have a drinking problem please seek help. If you prefer to maintain anonymity, there are online alcohol classes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment