Saturday, November 20, 2010

Five Myths About Drinking Problems


Getting to the truth behind your justifications for  your drinking problem  is important to breaking down the wall of denial. These are often asked by my alcohol class students when they take my alcohol awareness classes.

Myth #1: I can quit drinking anytime I want to.


Maybe you can; unfortunately it's more likely  you can’t. Regardless  it’s only  an excuse to continue  drinking. The reality is, you don’t want to stop. Telling yourself you can quit makes you feel in control, despite all evidence you have  and in spite of the damage you're doing to yourself. 

Myth #2: My drinking is my problem. I’m the one it hurts, so no one has the right to tell me to stop.


It’s true that the decision to quit drinking is ultimately up to you. But you are deceiving yourself if you think that your drinking hurts no one else but you. Alcoholism affects everyone around you—especially the people closest to you. Your problem is their problem.

Myth #3: I don’t consume on a daily basis,  so I certainly am not  a person with a drinking problem  OR I limit my drinking to  wine or beer, so I can’t be an alcoholic.


Alcoholism is not defined by what you drink, when you choose to drink,  or the quantity you drink.  It’s the effects of your drinking that define a issue. If your drinking alcohol  is leading to troubles in your home or work life, you are a problem drinking  and most likely are  an alcoholic—whether you drink everyday or only on Saturdays and Sundays  down shots of tequila or stick to wine, drink three cans of beer a day or three fifths of Jim Beam.

Myth #4: I am not an alcoholic  because I have a job and I'm doing OK 


You do not  need to be a bum  and drinking out of a brown paper bag to be an alcoholic. Many alcoholics are able to hold down jobs, get through school, and provide for their families. Some people  are even able to excel. But just because you’re a high-functioning drinker  this doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re not putting yourself or others at risk.  Eventually,  the effects will mean you have to pay the piper.

Myth #5: Drinking is not a “real” addiction like being a drug addict   


Alcohol is a drug, and alcoholism is every bit as damaging as drug addiction. Alcoholism  causes changes in the body and mind , and long-term alcohol abuse can have devastating effects on your body,  your career, and your relationships. Alcoholics go through physical withdrawal when they stop drinking, just like drug addicts  do when they stop.

Admitting that there’s a big issue can be painful for everybody in the family not just the alcohol abuser. But don’t be ashamed. You're not the only person dealing with this Alcoholism affects numerous families, from every social class, race, and culture. But you can find  support accessible for your and your loved one. You can educate yourself about drinking by taking an online alcohol class.

No comments:

Post a Comment